[ardour-users] Export all tracks

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Mar 28 09:44:17 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 06:17:05PM +0200, prg at ichthyostega.de wrote:

>  - most important would be the ability to select some tracks / busses.
>    So you can export e.g. your subgroups.

Of course :)

>  - very helpful would be the ability to export a defined region of the
>    timeline, e.g. the punch range. Of course it is absolute necessary
>    that this works 100% accurate (up to single sample and no latencies),
>    but I think, that's the case in ardour anyway.

Such a dialog will likely be very similar to the export dialog and
have the same range selection.

>  - correct handling of multi channel busses. At least: If exporting an
>    stereo bus, I'd like the ability to eiter generate two mono wavs or
>    one stereo wav. Of course, different channel configurations mixed
>    (some mono tracks, some stereo tracks, etc.). Nice, if this worked
>    for multi channel as well (e.g. using ambisonics busses)

Split / Joined multichannel has to be an option.
But if I understand you right, you would like to have it per track/bus,
not only once on a global level? If so, why? What would be the use case?

>  - enabling only some of (pre/postfader, gain, pan) would be nice and
>    helpful (but I consider this not so important then the above).
>    If such is included, we shouldn't forget the pan: a switch to
>    *disable* all panners would be nice..

I guess disabling gain but including plugins would be asking for trouble.
So it should be about after which step to get the signal, with pan maybe
an independent option.

>  - some sort of scriptability of this feature woud be really helpful:
>    so you can prepare the export script and if your session is ready
>    finally (which probably will be at 2:00 AM ), you just have to
>    start the export script and go to bed...

Hmm. Export blocks JACK with the freewheeling mode. As that might be a
problem for large sessions, I already included the creation of a batch
job as (halfway) solution in my design document. So this would be all
the same :)

> Cheers,
> Hermann Vosseler

Thanks for the input!