[Ardour-Users] Puzzling line level interference

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:50:55 PDT 2007

On 7/28/07, Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org> wrote:

> Thomas G. Willis wrote:
> > Right now USB Mouse and an Ethernet cable going to a router. When
> > attempting to record, just an rca to 1/8 inch stereo jack to a Roland
> > 840ex which has given me no problems in the past.
>
> As a quick experiment, you could try disconnecting the ground wire in
> the 1/8" jack.  If it's a molded jack plug, it would be easier to cut
> the plug off, and put your own plug on, wiring up just the tip and ring,
> leaving the sleeve unconnected.  I'd be quite optimistic about it
> working, and should cost a few pence/cents at most.

This is probably beyond my abilities actually. I'm horrible with hacking
cables.

A balanced connection would be much better (perhaps the 880EX has
> separate L and R XLR or TRS jack outputs?); if you got an external sound
> card which had balanced inputs, it should be virtually noiseless in any
> situation.

I planned on getting a mid level interface with balanced inputs someday. I
have access to a pro tools rig  at the practice space for serious projects,
I was hoping I could just get something working for scratch tracks when
Ideas come up.

I just tried putting one of those 2 prong adapters on the end of my power
supply and plugging it in, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'm
guessing this isn't ideal though I don't know exactly why. At least I can
put it in temporarily when I want to record.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

--
Thomas G. Willis