[Ardour-Users] Puzzling line level interference

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sat Jul 28 07:55:48 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 09:50 -0400, Thomas G. Willis wrote:

> I just tried putting one of those 2 prong adapters on the end of my
> power supply and plugging it in, and that seems to have fixed the
> problem. I'm guessing this isn't ideal though I don't know exactly
> why. At least I can put it in temporarily when I want to record.

That only proves that it's a ground loop issue. Running a PSU which is
meant to be grounded can be really hazardous. You need to rewire your
setup so every device in your audio setup (and everything connected to
them) are using the same ground source.

That, or separate the ground of the /signal/ not the safety ground or
use isolator transformers.

Sampo