[Ardour-Users] Puzzling line level interference

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Sat Jul 28 06:02:44 PDT 2007

Thomas G. Willis wrote:
> Right now USB Mouse and an Ethernet cable going to a router. When
> attempting to record, just an rca to 1/8 inch stereo jack to a Roland
> 840ex which has given me no problems in the past.

As a quick experiment, you could try disconnecting the ground wire in
the 1/8" jack.  If it's a molded jack plug, it would be easier to cut
the plug off, and put your own plug on, wiring up just the tip and ring,
leaving the sleeve unconnected.  I'd be quite optimistic about it
working, and should cost a few pence/cents at most.

A balanced connection would be much better (perhaps the 880EX has
separate L and R XLR or TRS jack outputs?); if you got an external sound
card which had balanced inputs, it should be virtually noiseless in any
situation.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain