[Ardour-Users] Puzzling line level interference

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 05:29:51 PDT 2007

On 7/28/07, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 23:31 -0400, Thomas G. Willis wrote:
> > i see someone reported a similar problem 2 weeks ago. UGH I should
> > read better. So it sounds like ext usb sound card should do the trick
> > at fixing it and you all can ignore my message. Sorry for the
> > distraction.
>
> An external sound card might not do the trick. It sounds a lot like a
> ground loop issue.
>
> Does your laptop power source have an earth connection or is it only a
> two-prong one?

It's 3 prong, going into a power strip that is also  3 prong going into the
wall

What connections are there from your laptop to active equipment?

Right now USB Mouse and an Ethernet cable going to a router. When attempting
to record, just an rca to 1/8 inch stereo jack to a Roland 840ex which has
given me no problems in the past.

I just wrote about grounding on LAU. See
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.audio.users/41807
> and an important addition I forgot from the previous
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.audio.users/41809

Thanks for the further guidance. I'm hoping the ext sound card fixes the
issue I was planning on getting one anyway.

  Sampo

--
Thomas G. Willis