[Ardour-Users] [ardour-users] Looping with punch-in/out; huge memory usage leading to crash

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Tue Jul 24 04:54:18 PDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org> wrote:

> Related to this, if I do manage to record multiple takes, this creates a
> number of regions which completely overlap each other.  If I try to play
> them back I start getting 'disk system too slow' errors.  I think it's
> reasonable to assume the regions which are not at the 'top' are being
> streamed from the disk even though they're not used; would that a bug or
> 'feature'?

That is a well known issue that we also plan to address soon, and yes
currently they are all being streamed even though you only hear the
top one.  To work around that in the meantime, I suggest making a new
playlist (copy, so you can keep the old ones around) and remove the
unused regions.

> I have a ton of other issues which I can't reliably reproduce; I'm
> really struggling to get any work done because of frequent crashes,
> sometimes breaking the session or history files.  Any number of things
> can lead to a crash, such as hitting Ctrl-Z to undo an action, moving
> one or more regions in the timeline, or creating a snapshot.  I'd like
> to help to get these problems fixed, I guess the best way would be
> finding ways to consistently reproduce them and continue to submit bug
> reports?

Yes, that is the best way, either here or in our bug tracking system
(tracker.ardour.org), or both.  We know how annoying it is to deal
with the instabilities, and how hard it can be to reliably reproduce
some issues.

jlc