[Ardour-Users] [ardour-users] Looping with punch-in/out; huge memory usage leading to crash

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Tue Jul 24 01:25:27 PDT 2007

Jesse Chappell wrote:
> I need to do some more testing, but I will commit it to the
> 2.0-ongoing SVN branch soon.

Thanks,

If there's anything I can do to help test your changes, please let me know.

I suspect the real cause of the crash is something obscure, but I think
there's a good chance your changes would avoid the problems I've been
experiencing.

Related to this, if I do manage to record multiple takes, this creates a
number of regions which completely overlap each other.  If I try to play
them back I start getting 'disk system too slow' errors.  I think it's
reasonable to assume the regions which are not at the 'top' are being
streamed from the disk even though they're not used; would that a bug or
'feature'?

I have a ton of other issues which I can't reliably reproduce; I'm
really struggling to get any work done because of frequent crashes,
sometimes breaking the session or history files.  Any number of things
can lead to a crash, such as hitting Ctrl-Z to undo an action, moving
one or more regions in the timeline, or creating a snapshot.  I'd like
to help to get these problems fixed, I guess the best way would be
finding ways to consistently reproduce them and continue to submit bug
reports?

Thanks,
--
Steven Chamberlain