[ardour-users] Looping with punch-in/out; huge memory usage leading to crash

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Jul 23 11:56:13 PDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org> wrote:

> If I record too many (30 or more) takes in one go, then as soon as I
> click the Stop button (I think this is when the regions get split into
> sections) my system grinds to a halt.  If I'm quick enough I can bring
> up a terminal and see that ardour2 uses over 3GB of memory (according to
> the VIRT column in the output of 'top').

I have recently re-implemented how files and regions are created when
doing loops/punches and the chances of this happening are now much
lower.  I need to do some more testing, but I will commit it to the
2.0-ongoing SVN branch soon.   At the very least I will try to
reproduce the issue to make sure my changes took care of it.  Thanks
for the report!

jlc