[ardour-users] startup: ubuntu/debian

John Rigg au at sound-man.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 03:58:05 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 09:28:42AM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I trying to switch from debian to ubuntu, mainly because of the 1/2 year
> release cycle. I'm trying to run as similar setups as possible:
>
> Ubuntu:
> ardour 2.0.3, compiled by hand
> openbox installed from ubuntu
> jack + qjackctl installed from ubuntu (qjackctl 0.2.21, jack 0.102.20)
> kernel: 2.6.18_rt7 (own compile, mingo patched)
>
> Debian:
> ardour 2.0.3, compiled by hand
> openbox installed from debian
> jack + qjackctl compiled by hand (qjackctl 0.2.21, jack 0.102.20)
> kernel: 2.6.18_rt7 or 2.6.22_rt4 (own compile, mingo patched)
>
> My problem is that a couple of programs (ardour and ghostess) take
> quite a lot longer to load under ubuntu than under debian. For instance
> seconds, 8 the second time (cache in effect). In ubuntu the times are
> 20 and 17. Since the synths that ardour tries to connect aren't present
> in either case I get errors about "ardour cannot connect...", and
> actually it seems it's just after this point in the load process that
> things differ: Under debian there are 5 sesonds between the last
> connect-error message and the next message from ardour, under ubuntu
> this time is 14.
>
> So I'm hoping someone should give some ideas about what's causing this
> difference, esp what could be taking 14 seconds instead of 5 in the
> load process right after ardour tries to connect other clients to it's
> inputs.
>
> I have a feeling it's something with network/osc, but have no idea
> where to look for differences...

I don't know if this will help, but I run compiled-from-source
versions of all my audio apps on Debian Etch. I had to disable
liblo (in the compile configuration) in Ardour2 and jamin
to avoid a 30 second hang when starting either. AFAIK it's
something to do with liblo (OSC) looking for IPv6 hosts
even when there aren't any. I think liblo has since been
patched, but you might not have a recent enough version.

John