[ardour-users] startup: ubuntu/debian [SOLVED]

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 13:16:14 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 09:28 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I trying to switch from debian to ubuntu, mainly because of the 1/2 year
> release cycle. I'm trying to run as similar setups as possible:
>
> Ubuntu:
> ardour 2.0.3, compiled by hand
> openbox installed from ubuntu
> jack + qjackctl installed from ubuntu (qjackctl 0.2.21, jack 0.102.20)
> kernel: 2.6.18_rt7 (own compile, mingo patched)
>
> Debian:
> ardour 2.0.3, compiled by hand
> openbox installed from debian
> jack + qjackctl compiled by hand (qjackctl 0.2.21, jack 0.102.20)
> kernel: 2.6.18_rt7 or 2.6.22_rt4 (own compile, mingo patched)
>
> My problem is that a couple of programs (ardour and ghostess) take
> quite a lot longer to load under ubuntu than under debian.

I mailed with Sean Bolton (the author of ghostess) and with help I was
able to narrow it down to /etc/nsswitch.conf, which under ubuntu read:

atte at ajstrup:~$ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

However, I found that under my old debian setup this line read

hosts:          files dns

I changed this line to match the debian setup, and voila ghostess (and
ardour) starts up exactly as fast as before!!!!!

Now I just have to sit back and wait to see what part of my ubuntu
system I broke by changing that line :-)

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen