[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Jul 18 11:03:48 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:22:49PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:

> > > How do you arrange for that to happen?
> >
> > Copy/move the sound files to be played back to a drive other than the
> > drive where sound files are being recorded.
>
> I was about to ask "But how does ardour find them?"
> ... but then I remembered:
> Windows -> Options -> Paths/Files -> "session RAID path".

... except that I can't get it to work. In a trivial session with 2
recorded files, I set my "session RAID path" to
"/mnt/audio/ardour_sessions/demo/:/tmp/"

So I thought I'd then be able to manually move files between those two
directories.
I see that ardour has automagically created session subdirectories on
/tmp now: sound, audiofiles, peaks, and so forth.

I stopped Ardour, moved one of my wav files into /tmp/sounds/,
restarted Ardour, reopened the session and it complains:
ardour: [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (Audio
1-1.wav): while searching
/mnt/audio/ardour_sessions/demo/sounds/
ardour: [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by
silence.

So it looks like ardour isn't actually searching the session raid path
for sounds?  Is this a bug?

This is with:
Ardour/GTK 2.0.2
   (built using 1810 and GCC version 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2))

I do share Mark's concern about backups though... easy to forget to
back everything up.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com