[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jul 18 11:11:10 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 14:03 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:22:49PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:

> > > Copy/move the sound files to be played back to a drive other than the
> > > drive where sound files are being recorded.
> >
> > I was about to ask "But how does ardour find them?"
> > ... but then I remembered:
> > Windows -> Options -> Paths/Files -> "session RAID path".
>
> ... except that I can't get it to work. In a trivial session with 2
> recorded files, I set my "session RAID path" to
> "/mnt/audio/ardour_sessions/demo/:/tmp/"
>
> So I thought I'd then be able to manually move files between those two
> directories.

It is absolutely NOT designed for this purpose. If it works for that (at
any point in time when it actually works), its an accident, not a design
feature.

> I see that ardour has automagically created session subdirectories on
> /tmp now: sound, audiofiles, peaks, and so forth.
>
> I stopped Ardour, moved one of my wav files into /tmp/sounds/,
> restarted Ardour, reopened the session and it complains:
> ardour: [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (Audio
> 1-1.wav): while searching
> /mnt/audio/ardour_sessions/demo/sounds/
> ardour: [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by
> silence.
>
> So it looks like ardour isn't actually searching the session raid path
> for sounds?  Is this a bug?

Probably. the s/w RAID support hasn't been properly tested since we
reorganized the way we store audio files somewhere during the
development of 2.0 ...

--p