[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Jul 18 10:17:58 PDT 2007

On 18 July 2007 at 10:12, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Insanity.

I'd be hard pressed to claim otherwise.  ;-)

> OK, Ardour has already solved this problem for you. Ardour has defined
> a sort of 'fake RAID' where you can use multiple hard drives as a
> single recording location. Ardour will then make deciisons about which
> files to record on which drives. Those files always stay on those
> drives but in Ardour itself it looks like you're recording to a single
> location even though it is spread out across multiple drive.
>
> I have used this with 3 1394 controllers and 3 1394 drives. Each drive
> has it's own PCI controller and that controller has a cable to its one
> drive. This uses 3 PCI slots. 2 of my controllers are 1394a - 400Mb -
> and one is 1394b - 800Mb. Ardour decides what gets placed where. It
> works fine and solves, for the most part, any issues about drive
> throughput or cable congestion.

That sounds great.  But, I'm at a loss as to how to get ardour
to do this magic for me.  When I create a project it ends up
in /home/somewhere/projectname/project.ardour and associated
directories.  But, so far every time I've done this all the data
ends up on the same drive.  What do I have to do to coerce ardour
to run in a fake RAID mode?  Thanks...

--
Kevin