[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:12:41 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2007 at 11:45, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
>
> > > 2 HDs would be better, one for recording to, one for playback,
> >
> > How do you arrange for that to happen?
>
> Copy/move the sound files to be played back to a drive other than the
> drive where sound files are being recorded.

Insanity.

OK, Ardour has already solved this problem for you. Ardour has defined
a sort of 'fake RAID' where you can use multiple hard drives as a
single recording location. Ardour will then make deciisons about which
files to record on which drives. Those files always stay on those
drives but in Ardour itself it looks like you're recording to a single
location even though it is spread out across multiple drive.

I have used this with 3 1394 controllers and 3 1394 drives. Each drive
has it's own PCI controller and that controller has a cable to its one
drive. This uses 3 PCI slots. 2 of my controllers are 1394a - 400Mb -
and one is 1394b - 800Mb. Ardour decides what gets placed where. It
works fine and solves, for the most part, any issues about drive
throughput or cable congestion.

- Mark