[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Jul 18 01:54:20 PDT 2007

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007 schrieben Sie:
> thank you arnold,
> On 17/07/07, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007 schrieb cristiano scabello:
> > > does ardour support 48 channels?
> > No :-P
> > It supports anything from zero to min(
> > <hw-limit_of_disks_and_motherboard>,
> > <hw-limit_of_cpu-processing_for_effects> ) in channels and anything from
> > zero
> > to <hw-limit_of_cpu-processing_for_effects> in busses.
> ok, I understand. it depends from my hardware, is it?

Yep.

> > > which soundcard interface should work in this case?
> > I would look into rme and adat- or madi-interfaces. But firewire seems to
> > allow syncing of several devices too.
> theses a real nice interfaces that I've never know. but unfortunatelly, the
> FireFace8000 RME soundcard isn't on alsa... :(
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-RME#matrix

Well, there are two problems in this case:

1) Alsa doesn't support firewire. freebob/ffado is responsible for
firewire-drivers. (www.ffado.org)

2) The RME-firewire-devices will probably never be supported. In contrast to
the pci-/pcmcia-devices rme decided that the linux-fw-market is to small to
have their specifications published with a free linux-driver. And they won't
invest into developing a closed source driver...

So the choice is either some RME-pci-cards or firewire supported by
freebob/ffado... (I do have a presonus firepod which works rather well.)

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---