[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

cristiano scabello criscabello at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:24:03 PDT 2007

thank you arnold,

On 17/07/07, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007 schrieb cristiano scabello:
> > does ardour support 48 channels?
>
> No :-P
> It supports anything from zero to min(
> <hw-limit_of_disks_and_motherboard>,
> <hw-limit_of_cpu-processing_for_effects> ) in channels and anything from
> zero
> to <hw-limit_of_cpu-processing_for_effects> in busses.

ok, I understand. it depends from my hardware, is it? sorry, but my english
is really bad...

And even with only two channel-interfaces ardour projects easily extend over
> 48+ tracks...
>
> The question should be wether there are drivers for soundcards with 48+
> channels. But thats a question double-indirect to ardour and indirect to
> jack. Alsa and/or freebob are the components responsible of talking to the
> hardware...

ok, I'll try to make a contact with then.

> does anyone tried it yet?
>
> Yep.
>
> > which soundcard interface should work in this case?
>
> I would look into rme and adat- or madi-interfaces. But firewire seems to
> allow syncing of several devices too.

theses a real nice interfaces that I've never know. but unfortunatelly, the
FireFace8000 RME soundcard isn't on alsa... :(
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-RME#matrix

> the system works well with more than one soundcard (like five m-audio
> > delta1010 in one machine?) does it make any sense?
>
> It only makes sense if they are synced and maybe even all interrupts
> except
> from the first card are masked. Which still leaves you the problem of
> telling
> alsa to use these five cards as one, which is non-trivial (but possible).
> I would go for a single card (pci) or firewire.

 ok, more than one sondcard isn't a good idea.

Have a nice day,

a nice day for you too.

Arnold
> --
> visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
> ---
> Hi, I am a .signature virus. Please copy me into your ~/.signature and
> send me
> to all your contacts.
> After a month or so log in as root and do a rm / -rf. Or ask your
> administrator to do so...

cristiano.scabello
criscabello.estudiolivre.org
myspace.com/criscabello