[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jul 17 07:58:37 PDT 2007

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007 schrieb cristiano scabello:
> does ardour support 48 channels?

No :-P
It supports anything from zero to min( <hw-limit_of_disks_and_motherboard>,
<hw-limit_of_cpu-processing_for_effects> ) in channels and anything from zero
to <hw-limit_of_cpu-processing_for_effects> in busses.

And even with only two channel-interfaces ardour projects easily extend over
48+ tracks...

The question should be wether there are drivers for soundcards with 48+
channels. But thats a question double-indirect to ardour and indirect to
jack. Alsa and/or freebob are the components responsible of talking to the
hardware...

> does anyone tried it yet?

Yep.

> which soundcard interface should work in this case?

I would look into rme and adat- or madi-interfaces. But firewire seems to
allow syncing of several devices too.

> the system works well with more than one soundcard (like five m-audio
> delta1010 in one machine?) does it make any sense?

It only makes sense if they are synced and maybe even all interrupts except
from the first card are masked. Which still leaves you the problem of telling
alsa to use these five cards as one, which is non-trivial (but possible).
I would go for a single card (pci) or firewire.

Have a nice day,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/