[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Tue Jul 17 09:22:00 PDT 2007

cristiano scabello wrote:
> the system works well with more than one soundcard (like five m-audio
> delta1010 in one machine?) does it make any sense?

I suffer from frequent xruns when trying to use two Delta 1010s at the
same time.  I believe this is related to the ALSA pcm_multi plugin.

This page (site currently down) is tracking this issue:
  http://trac.64studio.com/64studio/ticket/266

This page also mentions the same issue, as well as other problems
related to multiple Delta 1010s in some detail:
  http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

Also, whichever sound cads you use, if you record 48 tracks in ardour as
32-bit WAVE files at 96000Hz, I believe this would require writing to
the disks at almost 18MB/sec.  You would need to make sure your disk
system is capable of writing at a *continuous* 18MB/sec, which is
probably quite demanding?

I have not used SATA drives before; can anyone tell me what rate they
can be written to continuously?

With the right hardware, I'm sure ardour would make a very nice 48-track
recording system.  Good luck!

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain