[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

DA. Forsyth steampipe at iwr.ru.ac.za
Tue Jan 2 23:06:54 PST 2007

On 3 Jan 2007 at 6:48, Steven Chamberlain is alleged to have scribbled:

> I feel I should point out that the 1010LT has all unbalanced I/O.  The

works just fine for me.   my patch cords from the desk to the PC are 1.5
meters, no problems, even though the direct outs were balanced (just wire
it right).  desk was a Soundcraft Spirit SX.

> Delta 1010 does have the external rackmount breakout box containing the
> converters, but that also provides balanced TRS jacks.  That's exactly
> why I chose the 1010 over a 1010LT.

the breakout box would be nice, keeping trakc of the bundle of plugs on
the back of the PC is a bit of a chore when operating portable setups.
in a static studio setup, it would be plug and forget.

> I'm more than happy with my Delta 1010 for Ardour.  I've had many
> latency issues and jack xruns to deal with, but I imagine it would have
> been the  same with any other sound card.  The ice1714 driver itself has
> never given me any problems.

I also had xruns, till I figured out that one needs to decrease one thing
while increasing another thing in the jack setup.  can't recall the
details now as I don't have the PC here.   latency is meaningless, see
later...

> Also there's envy24control in the ALSA tools package, which gives most
> of the functionality present in the Windows driver and is occasionally
> useful.  I imagine a lot of other multichannel cards will lack this.

envy24control is not occasionally useful.  it is VITAL if you want to use
hardware monitoring, which completely eliminates latency.

--
David                       http://iwr.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/
If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know",