[ardour-users] ardour-users Digest, Vol 37, Issue 16

ubuntuvoice info at ubuntuvoice.com
Sat Feb 10 16:16:24 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-02 at 13:44 -0800, ardour-users-request at lists.ardour.org
wrote:

> > No.  Distributions of Linux need to agree on one way for pacakage
> > management systems to communicate.  Thing is it won't happen as some
> > people prefer one method to another, and that is why Linux is great.  It
> > gives choice.  In this case choice of distribution.  But whether or not
> > it does happen has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

If this is so explain to me why Event/Echo decided not to release
information on its drivers for its cards and work with linux,   or why
Creative labs XFI series is at present designated as "no information on
drivers".

You see far less often,  device drivers for linux right beside the
windows version and one would think we are a far way from any
distribution stating "this driver has not passed linux quality
labs...proceed with install?"

So to say the hardware manufacturer has nothing to do with it,  is a
little errant.   IF the hardware manufacturers did not give linux device
driver programmer such a hard time and if in fact they would simply just
write the darned things themselves,  then perhaps there would be more
time to enter into the debate of how to package them.