[ardour-users] Decent sound card for ardour, etc.

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 9 11:51:32 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 18:05 +0100, Nicola Mattei wrote:

> > There are no instructions on how to properly install it.  "Read the Kernel
> > how to".   Meanwhile it says if you have soundcore you don't need to
> > compile.   What?   Yup.   So limbo land for those who have a proper ALSA
> > install (Ubuntu, Debian)  and just need to know where to put the firmware.
> >
> > It would be a lot easier if there was a project that just dealt with making
> > available firmware a deb package or installable in a less cryptic way.
> >
> Are you meaning
>
> apt-get install alsa-firmware-loaders?
>
> the short description of this package:
>
> ALSA software loaders for specific hardware
> A collection of software loaders for specific hardware:
>
>  cspctl - Sound Blaster 16 ASP/CSP control program
>  hdsploader - firmware loader for the RME Hammerfall DSP cards
>  mixartloader - firmware loader for Digigram's miXart board sound drivers
>  pcxhrloader - firmware loader for Digigram pcxhr compatible soundcards
>  sscape_ctl - SoundScape control utility and firmware loader
>  usx2yloader - firmware loader for Tascam USX2Y USB soundcards
>  vxloader - firmware loader for Digigram VX soundcards
>
> Maybe if you don't know it exists doesn't mean that it actually doesn't.
> Synaptic is your friend

None of those are the firmware loader for the echoaudio cards.
It's done through udev/hotplug.

I did have an email exchange with Webmaster <info at ubuntuvoice.com> and
tried to help out in my amateurish way.

The firmware was correctly installed, but hotplug wasn't playing nice as
far as I could tell. Replacing udev+hotplug is not trivial.

I'm using the same distro and same card in somewhat the same way, and it
works, but I may have fixed something or else be at a different stage of
upgrading various bits and pieces.