[ardour-users] ardour-users Digest, Vol 37, Issue 16

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 16:36:58 PST 2007

> If this is so explain to me why Event/Echo decided not to release
> information on its drivers for its cards and work with linux,   or why
> Creative labs XFI series is at present designated as "no information on
> drivers".
>
> You see far less often,  device drivers for linux right beside the
> windows version and one would think we are a far way from any
> distribution stating "this driver has not passed linux quality
> labs...proceed with install?"
>
> So to say the hardware manufacturer has nothing to do with it,  is a
> little errant.   IF the hardware manufacturers did not give linux device
> driver programmer such a hard time and if in fact they would simply just
> write the darned things themselves,  then perhaps there would be more
> time to enter into the debate of how to package them.

I think you misunderstood the entire point of my post you quoted.

I was saying that the installation systems on various distributions is
not something that manufacturers have to deal with at all.  ALL they
need to do is provide the open source driver to the kernel(Simplified
slightly, must meet quality requirements of course etc.).  The
distribution has the responsibility of providing the installation system.

I was not however saying that the manufacturers have nothing to do with
supporting hardware in Linux, which seems to be how you took it to mean.

       Seablade