[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Feb 8 04:46:27 PST 2007

Quoting John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>:

> Anyway, I can now display the mixer panel.  If I try to play a sound, it
> appears on playback channels 1&2 but they don't seem to be routed
> anywhere.

Isn't that the problem then? Sound like you just need to route playback
channels 1 and 2 to the outputs you are listening to. I'm not sure how
familiar you are with hdspmixer, but I'll try to make it simple:

The topmost channels are the physical inputs. These can be routed anywhere
you like. Routing is done by selecting a target by pressing the white button
 on the top of the strip. Then the fader and panner on that channel selects
how much of the signal is sent to the output. These work in stereo pairs
which make things a bit confusing for mono work, but it's okay.

The middle channels are the "software outputs", so to speak. This means that
these are the channels your route audio to in software, in jack for example
these are alsa_pcm:playback_[x] . These software outputs are routed to
physical outputs just like the physical inputs.

The bottom channels are the physical outputs. The faders on these strips
change the actual volume of the output port. Note that there are 2 extra
channels here called "AN L" and "AN R". These outputs represent the
headphone output in your multiface / digiface.

Oh, and regarding searching: searching in linux often relies in a timed scan
of the full system (a so-called cronjob) which usually run once a day.
Searching this way is extremely fast, but it's unable to find newly added files.

If you want to see what files a package you've installed put in your system,
you can use the following command line command:

dpkg -L [package name]

for example:
$ dpkg -L alsa-tools-gui
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/echomixer
/usr/bin/envy24control
/usr/bin/hdspconf
/usr/bin/hdspmixer
/usr/bin/rmedigicontrol
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/echomixer
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/echomixer/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/echomixer/README
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/envy24control
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/envy24control/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/envy24control/README
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/envy24control/README.profiles.gz
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspconf
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspconf/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspconf/README
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspmixer
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspmixer/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspmixer/README
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspmixer/TODO
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/hdspmixer/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/rmedigicontrol
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/rmedigicontrol/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/rmedigicontrol/README
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/rmedigicontrol/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/copyright
/usr/share/doc/alsa-tools-gui/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/envy24control.1.gz
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/pixmaps/hdspconf.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/hdspmixer.png
/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/applications/hdspconf.desktop
/usr/share/applications/hdspmixer.desktop
/usr/share/menu
/usr/share/menu/alsa-tools-gui

  Sampo