[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 01:36:40 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Emmas" <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: 08 February 2007 09:13
Subject: Re: [ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

> Thanks for the info guys but I'm still no further along the path.
>
> I installed alsa-tools-gui this morning, then rebooted (not sure if a
> reboot was necessary, but I rebooted anyway).  Next I searched
> my hard drive for 'hdspmixer'.  The only things that come up are a
> config file and a PNG image (both of which were already present)
> but no hdspmixer application.

Sorry guys, I gave you duff information there.  I've just found hdspmixer
under /usr/bin but for some reason, it doesn't show up when I do a search
(actually, I've found this to be a common problem with Ubuntu).

Anyway, I can now display the mixer panel.  If I try to play a sound, it
appears on playback channels 1&2 but they don't seem to be routed anywhere.
At the same time, a different application appears looking similar to Windows
Media Player.  Under Windows, the signal appears, not only on those 2
playback channels - but also on 2 of the output channels and finally on the
main master outputs.  This isn't happening under Ubuntu.  I've tried playing
with mutes & solos but I can't get any sound to appear.  Is there a separate
routing app that I need to know about?

Thanks,

John