[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 8 04:59:09 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 14:46 +0200, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> Quoting John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>:
>
> > Anyway, I can now display the mixer panel.  If I try to play a sound, it
> > appears on playback channels 1&2 but they don't seem to be routed
> > anywhere.
>
> Isn't that the problem then? Sound like you just need to route playback
> channels 1 and 2 to the outputs you are listening to. I'm not sure how
> familiar you are with hdspmixer, but I'll try to make it simple:

i personally think this is a bad idea. here's why:

  a) hdspmixer was designed by RME. they have full docs on it at their
website. leave them to figure out the best way to explain it ;) The
linux version uses the same design and the same graphics. Thomas did a
great job of replicating all of its gnarly RME glory ...

  b) unless you are doing something complex, the *only* thing you need
hdspmixer for is to just configure the matrix mixer into its default
state. to do this, just start it up, press Ctrl-q. done. nothing more
*should* be required.

--p