[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Feb 7 06:48:55 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 14:25 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Finally, I obtained a decent sound card.  I ended up with the RME Hammerfall
> DSP 9632 which I found on Ebay.  I really wanted the 9652 but it was
> withdrawn from sale.  Anyway, the 9632 seems to be a good alternative.
> I found these installation instructions (I think, written by Paul) :-
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=RME&card=Hammerfall+DSP+9652.&chip=FPGA&module=hdsp

not written by me.

also misleading. all modern linux distributions have ALSA built in to
them, and there is no extra work to do for the HDSP 9652 or HDSP 9632
except for one small detail: you won't get any sound out until you run
hdspmixer. i don't like this design, but i don't work actively on these
drivers any more.

you *might* need to install "alsa-utils", but any linux distribution
worth its salt should have done this for you.

the ALSA docs are absurdly out of date now. telling people to recompile
ALSA is from 2-3 years ago. i don't know why this hasn't been corrected
(its a problem for *all* the entries in the ALSA doc tree, not just the
RME stuff).

--p