[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 06:25:41 PST 2007

Hi guys,

Finally, I obtained a decent sound card.  I ended up with the RME Hammerfall
DSP 9632 which I found on Ebay.  I really wanted the 9652 but it was
withdrawn from sale.  Anyway, the 9632 seems to be a good alternative.
I found these installation instructions (I think, written by Paul) :-

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=RME&card=Hammerfall+DSP+9652.&chip=FPGA&module=hdsp

About 15% down the page, there's a command line that I need to type in,
saying:-

cp /downloads/alsa-* .

I'm typing that in, exactly as it appears - i.e. with a space and a fullstop
at the end.  However, I get this error message:-

cp: cannot stat `/downloads/alsa-*': No such file or directory

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?  I'm using Ubuntu Linux ver 6.10
(commonly known as Edgy).  Ubuntu's own site has these instructions:-

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

but I couldn't make them work.  They require you to uninstall a load of
stuff, install the same drivers as Paul's instructions, then re-install the
drivers you just uninstalled.  Unfortunately, not only did I end up with a
non-working sound card, the various things I'd removed & re-installed
ended up not working properly either.... :-(

All suggestions gratefully received.

John