[Ardour-Users] disk not able to keep up with ardour...

maillistnoll maillistnoll at nollcentral.com
Thu Dec 6 13:08:43 PST 2007

The 4MB/sec is *not* a typo, and you are correct, the SATA drives show up as
SCSI drives. This performance number comes from the output of Bonnie++, and,
yes, I was pretty sure it was not what it should be. The drives are software
mirrored, if that makes any difference.

1) I am running Gentoo with kernel 2.6.22 (or maybe .16 - I've tried sveral)
+rt patches and the Gentoo realtime overlay packages (installs the kernel RT
patches and some other related items).

2) I'm using Ardour 2.1, though I will mention that I didn't have this
problem with 0.99x with an older version of the kernel.

3) The only other processes running are related to the desktop (KDE). I
typically don't even run things like Qjackctl. I made sure when building
this system that no servers or databases got installed, since I knew it
would be specifically used for recording. I don't even have sshd set to run
automatically.

4) I don't know about open files, but I don't think there's going to be an
extraordinarily large number. I can check this.

Note my comment about the older kernel - something like 2.6.9 without the RT
patches was working fine for up to 4-5 tracks (that's the most I tried, it
might have done more). That's why I'm wondering about the kernel tuning.

I didn't want to clutter this list with all of this, but as I said in my
first post, I can't find any resource that gives a "do it this way" guide
that is consistent with any other guide. For example, I've seen several
threads in different places about which scheduler to use for audio
recording, and they all come to different conclusions.

If someone can point me to resources that describe best practices for tuning
a system for use with Ardour I'll be glad to take it to another forum.
Arnold gave me a starting point by pointing to hdparm, but what settings
should I look at in hdparm? What other utilities and what specific settings
in the kernel do the people on this list use?

I did see a post in the Ardour forums by dcsimon that was the first
reasonably up to date "howto" that I've found. I'll be comparing my system
to that as soon as I get back home, but I note that he doesn't mention
anything about tuning the drive performance.

Thanks, again, for the help.

--kan--