[ardour-users] Corrupt Session file

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Nov 25 14:03:57 PST 2006

Is it possible to recover a corrupt session file. I have been
investigating a  denormal problem with the TAP reverb on my CCRMA FC5
SMP P4 system by trying to use the TAP reverb editor externally via JACK
instead of the normal LADSPA plugin method and unfortunately Ardour
crashed (or something else made Ardour quit) and it seems to have taken
the .xml session file with it. When I open it now all the routing and
plugins are missing. Looking inside the .xml file the raw data seems to
be there but there must be some inconsistency in the syntax because
Ardour does not re-establish the routing and plugins on opening the
project. Thankfully the audio tracks and the automation files are still
in the file system so recovery can be done. Is there some type of syntax
validator for an Ardour .xml file? I'm really glad I was experimenting
and this wasn't in the middle of a live session, that would have been
very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any recovery suggestions.

Ken

believed to be clean.