[ardour-users] 32 v 64 bit

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Nov 17 09:14:07 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 08:56 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 16 November 2006 at 18:28, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
> > 64 bit works fine, but :
> >
> > 	a) no CCRMA support for x86_64
>
> I imagine that things like this might change as 64-bit becomes the
> norm.

CCRMA will change when they invest enough in x86_64 to make it worth
Fernando's while. Given that he just built up a whole stack of nice new
silent boxes that IIRC are *not* x86_64, i think it might be a while.

> > 	b) no VST plugins, ever
>
> Is that a function of VST or of Ardour or what?

you can't load 32 bit shared objects into a 64 bit host, no matter what
the host does (audio,video,graphics whatever). VST's are all 32 bit
shared objects.

> > 	c) no video playback of anything except theora and a few others
>
> Interesting.
>
> Can I presume that all of these points are non-issues when running in
> 32-bit mode on a 64-bit machine?  So many of the non-music related
> issues, e.g. flash plugins, disappear when running in 32-bit mode.

correct. you can also run a 32 bit app - quite a few people run a 32 bit
firefox on their otherwise-64bit machine precisely to be able to use
"re-purposed" windows codecs to watch video, and to be able to use
regular linux flash support etc.