[ardour-users] 32 v 64 bit

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Fri Nov 17 08:56:16 PST 2006

On 16 November 2006 at 18:28, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> 64 bit works fine, but :
>
> 	a) no CCRMA support for x86_64

I imagine that things like this might change as 64-bit becomes the
norm.  A coworker of mine was just faced with deciding on which CPU
to buy for a home computer.  He was overwhelmed by the 64-bit
offerings.  At some point the market will go there and leave 32-bit
behind.  I expect that 32-bit will be with us for a long time tho.
I for one am still using a Pentium I for my email/web/document
computer.

> 	b) no VST plugins, ever

Is that a function of VST or of Ardour or what?

> 	c) no video playback of anything except theora and a few others

Interesting.

Can I presume that all of these points are non-issues when running in
32-bit mode on a 64-bit machine?  So many of the non-music related
issues, e.g. flash plugins, disappear when running in 32-bit mode.

Thanks....

--
Kevin