[ardour-users] anyone using Dell Latitude laptops w/Ardour?

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Nov 16 14:34:41 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 09:13 +1100, chris simpson wrote:
> I'm also running intel core duo d820, with fedora. i couldn't get
> jack/ardour working till last night, and i've found the culprit to be
> fedora core 6, possibly something to do with it's pam configuration.
> other than that, driver support seems very good, wireless and video
> work very will with minimal configuration.. a RT patched works well,
> but only expect to get an SMP kernel to boot if you compile it with
> PREEMPT not REALTIME.

Your problem has most likely been with the snd-hda-intel driver. For
some reason, at least on the STAC9200 chip (which I guess is in your
D820 too) works very strangely with the driver.

When the only capture element that can be enabled for capturing is not
enabled, the driver doesn't return any samples. This means that any
programs blocking and waiting for samples from the driver will block
forever.

Just enable the "Capture" element for capturing (using for example the
cmdline tool alsamixer, use F4 to enter the "capture side" of the mixer)

  Sampo