[ardour-users] anyone using Dell Latitude laptops w/Ardour?

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Nov 15 23:52:07 PST 2006

Quoting "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner at cluebyfour.org>:

> All:
>
> I'm looking at getting a new laptop primarily for audio work and was
> wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) using newer
> Dell
> Latitude laptops with Ardour on higher track-count projects (planning for
>
> 24 simultaneous tracks) using RME hardware?

I'm using a Core 2 Duo Dell Latitude D820 as my main development and
recording platform at the moment.

I haven't had any real sessions to put the laptop through the hoops yet, but
you could say I was very happy with it. I do have some occasional xruns when
running at 2x64 or 2x128, but that's most likely due to not using a RT
kernel. I just haven't bothered with them, yet. ;) { and those levels of
latency performance are not normally needed for simple recording jobs }

All the hardware in the laptop works great, except the smart card reader
which seems to need a firmware uprgade to work. I don't have a dock, so I
can't comment on that.

Ubuntu Edgy works great on the laptop, but I'm sure almost any distro will.

Specs:
Dell Latitude D820
Core 2 Duo T7400 (2.16GHz)
2Gb 667MHz DDR2 RAM
100 GB SATA 7,200rpm disk
Integrated Intel 950 graphics card
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945
RME Multiface + PCMCIA interface

Note the graphics card and especially the wireless card. AFAIK, the other
option "Dell XYZ wireless" (or whatever) needs proprietary drivers to work
which is potentially a very bad thing for RT performance.

Oh, and Ardour 2.0 SVN compiles from scratch in 6m30s :)