[ardour-users] Maximum filesize for single tracks?

Christian Schumann schumann at physik.uni-kl.de
Mon Mar 27 07:56:16 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:45:43AM -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Christian Schumann <schumann at physik.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> > I didn't get any xruns, but at a bit more than 3 hours of recording
> > time, I get consistent stops because of write problems on my external
> > firewire harddisk. Is this some harddisk problem, or is it something I
> > could fix in my ardour configuration? Is there some kind of maximum
> > filesize per track trat limits the duration of recordings?
> This is because Ardour's current native audio file is WAV which has a
> format-limited maximum file size.  In the near future we plan to move
> to a different native format that doesn't have this restriction.
> Until then, if you really need continuous long file support you might
> need to use another tool like ecasound or jack_timemachine.
I'm ok with that, we will record a live gig, and we can start a new
session in the intermission. I just stumbled onto the fact and asked
myself whether this is some configuration error on my side.

Regards,
Christian

Dipl.-Phys. Christian Schumann   |Technische Universitaet Kaiserslautern
Mail: schumann at physik.uni-kl.de  |           Fachbereich Physik
Tel.: 0631/205-4842 (Office)     |     http://www.physik.uni-kl.de
Tel.: 0631/205-4843 (Lab)        |
Fax.: 0631/205-3902              |
Post: Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, D-67663 Kaiserslautern