[ardour-users] Surround Sound Mixing

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 07:49:14 PST 2006

OK, #1 I have no clue about this stuff and what's involved. #2 I have a
friend that is doing fairly well for himself doing sound work for movies and
is somehow doing surround  mixing outside of pro-tools.

Basically he asked me if surround mixing is possible in ardour because he
doesn't want to upgrade to the uber expensive protools version that allows
him to do that.

I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that it's either
theoretically possible or a feature that isn't stable yet.

So, I'm hoping someone on this list can  let me know that it is indeed
possible.

I saw that you can choose from 5 to 8 outputs in mastering and I can assume
that that would work for surround but without anyway for me to test this
myself I'm wondering how one would route a track to the subwoofer vs the
center channel vs the front r/l vs rear r/l.

Appologies in advance if this is all insanely stupid questions.
--
Thomas G. Willis
http://i-see-sound.com