[ardour-users] mic preamps

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Mar 15 16:14:02 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:07:50PM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> >The 1220 does have a couple features I'd like (faders, defeatable EQ)
> >so I might consider upgrading at some point. Or not; I might
> >buy a couple channels of really nice outboard pre first.
> >Or more likely monitors.
>
> Monitors and acoustics first;)  Depending on your setup it could make a
> larger difference than the pres.

Righto.

> But at any rate, the direct outs on the Onyx I believe bypass the EQ
> entierly, it is not an option it is a given.  At least that is the case
> with the Firewire option on them at any rate.  Just for the record;)

Direct outs (by which I assume you mean the per-channel inserts on the
back panel) on compact mackies have always bypassed the EQ, so that's
nothing new. What's new is that you can now hit a switch that takes the
channel's EQ out of the path that goes to the "main" buss as well.
Since my EQs are set flat 99% of the time, that's a feature I'd probably
use.

OTOH, the buzz on rec.audio.pro is that the EQ on the Onyx is so much
better-sounding than the previous compact mackies that I might actually
start to use it ;-)

They also have a built-in instrument-level DI which I would occasionally
find handy.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com