[ardour-users] crash while recording automation

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Sat Mar 11 04:22:07 PST 2006

Sampo Savolainen wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 00:29 +0100, Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>>>Did you compile ardour 0.99 yourself? 0.99.2 has no new requirements ove
>>>0.99.
>>>

>>i think that i did, but anyway i have jack0.99.55 running, as synaptic
>>shows?!
>

>Jack? I was talking about ardour, not jack.
>
>>it is most probably a stupid question, but jack is important for almost
>>eveything what is running on my mashine, so should i expect that
>>updating jack will not cause complications with another programs?
>>(qjackctl, jamin...)
>

>It's actually not a stupid question at all. Quite often i find that
>programs which were compiled against an older version of jack stop
>working after upgrading jackd.
>
>If you would use your distributions jackd and other audio software, your
>distribution should & will handle the dependancies so that it will
>install new versions of your audio software with jackd. Versions which
>were built against that specific jackd you are installing.
>
>When compiling yourself, you need to take care to recompile all
>applications which use jackd. Thankfully normally, you don't need a full
>recompile: after installing a minor upgrade to jackd, "make install"
>normally just relinks the software (which, if you don't know, is the
>last phase of compiling and it "just" assembles the runnable piece of
>software) and installs it.
>
>You might be fine with jack 0.99.55, but 0.100 has improved latency
>compensation which might benefit your use of ardour. But this depends on
>what you do with ardour.

all right, i choose the hard methode, so no updating any tool/lib and just
running scons(and than searching the hole archive to find the "scons
install" command, i hope i will remember for the next time)
the reason for choosing this way is, that i am so happy to be able to work
on audio since ardour0.99 and not having to configure my system around
running scons went fine, ardour still does not fitts in my screen and
everything looks "normally"
on monday i can sit on my rme and try the real performance (and this
automation thing)
i will report if i find any other bug in the 99.2
thanx for the support, it seemes, the update went much easier then i was
thinking about
best,
doc

--