[ardour-users] crash while recording automation

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Wed Mar 15 14:55:52 PST 2006

hi, i worked with the 0.99.2 this week
the automation really is much more stable, i found one more thing, which i
dont know if it is "famous" already, so i try to explain:
i go with the mouse in to the gain automation track
in that moment the mouse apears as a "cross" and i can move the automations
points now up and down
i am also able to move the points to left or right, and on that point,
trying to move one automation point to left or right, ardour freezes (but
not the hole mashine, so i just have to restart ardour)
the bad thing is, this dont happens every time?!
can you understand this explanation?
is that issue already known
after the crash i also have to restart qjackctl, oterways the sound coming
out of the mashine is not usable, but very bad destorded
this is very uncomfortable, cause than i have to restart also jamin, as far
it is involved in to the session

ardour99.2 handles very well sessins from 99.0, exept it makes some
artefacts with subwindows(export, connect, open session), this is a little
tricky, but i foud the way to handle

>> i think that i did, but anyway i have jack0.99.55 running, as synaptic
>> shows?!

>Jack? I was talking about ardour, not jack.

>> it is most probably a stupid question, but jack is important for almost
>> eveything what is running on my mashine, so should i expect that
>> updating jack will not cause complications with another programs?
>> (qjackctl, jamin...)

>It's actually not a stupid question at all. Quite often i find that
>programs which were compiled against an older version of jack stop
>working after upgrading jackd.

>If you would use your distributions jackd and other audio software, your
>distribution should & will handle the dependancies so that it will
>install new versions of your audio software with jackd. Versions which
>were built against that specific jackd you are installing.

sorry, this part i did not got, can you explain it in other words please,
i am working with demudi 1.2.1

>When compiling yourself, you need to take care to recompile all
>applications which use jackd. Thankfully normally, you don't need a full
>recompile: after installing a minor upgrade to jackd, "make install"
>normally just relinks the software (which, if you don't know, is the
>last phase of compiling and it "just" assembles the runnable piece of
>software) and installs it.

if i understood this right, i have to recompile also jamin, which comes with
demudi, swami etc.
what is with alsa!, rme-firmware (the multiface runs now very well)
is it possible to do this with synaptic, there is a option "install again"?

>You might be fine with jack 0.99.55, but 0.100 has improved latency
>compensation which might benefit your use of ardour. But this depends on
>what you do with ardour.

i actually really would like to get the thing up-to date, but i am afraid to
end up in troubles and than writing questions to you guys insteed of working
on audio
this much for this time, cheers and thanx in advance,
doc

--
"Feel free" mit GMX FreeMail!
Monat für Monat 10 FreeSMS inklusive! http://www.gmx.net