[ardour-users] crash while recording automation

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri Mar 10 15:38:54 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 00:29 +0100, Dragan Noveski wrote:

> >Did you compile ardour 0.99 yourself? 0.99.2 has no new requirements ove
> >0.99.
> >

> i think that i did, but anyway i have jack0.99.55 running, as synaptic
> shows?!

Jack? I was talking about ardour, not jack.

> it is most probably a stupid question, but jack is important for almost
> eveything what is running on my mashine, so should i expect that
> updating jack will not cause complications with another programs?
> (qjackctl, jamin...)

It's actually not a stupid question at all. Quite often i find that
programs which were compiled against an older version of jack stop
working after upgrading jackd.

If you would use your distributions jackd and other audio software, your
distribution should & will handle the dependancies so that it will
install new versions of your audio software with jackd. Versions which
were built against that specific jackd you are installing.

When compiling yourself, you need to take care to recompile all
applications which use jackd. Thankfully normally, you don't need a full
recompile: after installing a minor upgrade to jackd, "make install"
normally just relinks the software (which, if you don't know, is the
last phase of compiling and it "just" assembles the runnable piece of
software) and installs it.

You might be fine with jack 0.99.55, but 0.100 has improved latency
compensation which might benefit your use of ardour. But this depends on
what you do with ardour.

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>