[ardour-users] Simplest way of doing sidechain ducking.

Alex Polite notmyprivateemail at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 04:46:33 PDT 2006

Hi again.

A while back I posted a question about editing interviews/discussions
where each speaker has a separate recorder. Paul Winkler hipped me to
the concept of sidechaining. Then Neil Nelson posted a lot stuff on
how to actually do sidechaining with ardour and related tools.

Beeing a total newbie to audio I have a pretty hard time following
Neils instructions. I've installed ams, as instructed, but when I try
to run it I get this error:

ams --jack --in 8 --out 8
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
LADSPA_PATH: /usr/lib/ladspa
loadPath: , savePath:
Preset path now /usr/share/doc/ams/demos
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:456:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
such file or directory
Error opening ALSA sequencer

That's as far as I've come. But maybe I shouldn't even go down the ams
road? Maybe there's an even simpler way of doing sidechaining with
ardour?

Enlighten me.

alex

--