[ardour-users] a few issues in OSX

Matthew Polashek matt at tinysongs.com
Sun Jan 22 19:42:56 PST 2006

Jesse Chappell wrote:

>On 1/21/06, Matthew Polashek <matt at tinysongs.com> wrote:
>

>>        I've been editing some live trax in Ardour on OSX today.  Here are a few issues I've noticed.
>>
>> 1 - The keyboard commands don't work consistently.
>> 2 - When clicking on the Editor/Mixer button in the editor window, the track that is displayed is determined at random somehow.
>>

>Only the first time?  Selecting the track (by clicking on the
>background in the track header) should set it.

OK, yep, that works just right.

>> 5 - SC4 doesn't really work.
>>

>I noticed this myself this weekend, i will look into it.
>

>> 6 - When you run out of drive space, like when saving a session, Ardour can't figure out when you've made room.
>>

>What did you try to do?  Just save again?

Well, I had to reboot before I could export the session.  I tried
quitting Ardour, quiting X11, closing the session, ending the process.
Rebooting was the only thing that worked.

>> 7 - The recording time available is not determined correctly.
>>

>I'll look into it.
>

>> 8 - Groups can only be assigned in the Editor window and they do not show up in the mixer window.
>>

>There are actually two kinds of groups: Edit groups and Mix groups.
>If you create new groups in the mixer window you can set the Mix
>groups in the mixer strips.  When active, these mix groups will gang
>faders and mute/solo/rec etc.

Ah, I got it now.  Though slightly counterintuitive, this is a great
feature.

>> Here are some features that would be nice:
>> 1 - Mute groups.
>>

>See above.
>

>> 3 - A way to select a region more accurately for export.
>>

>How do you do it now?  The range selection tool isn't accurate enough
>because there is no way to enter exact numbers?

I use the selection tool to higlight the area that I want to export.  It
would be better to be able to select the region by double clicking or
something.  Maybe I need to know more about the end marker and how that
works.

>> 4 - A way to determine the length of a "session."
>>

>Length in time?  The location of the end marker isn't sufficient?
>please explain more.

I was unaware that that was determined by the end marker.  Is there a
way to link regions?

I saved a template that had 2 tracks, 2 buses (one for Gverb and one for
a delay), 4 sends, and a few efx in it.  When I tried to make a new
session using that template my machine crashed.

Great stuff!

Thanks!
Matt