[ardour-users] Exporting with Hardware Inserts/Sends

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:59:20 PST 2006

On 1/23/06, Steve Fosdick <lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:52:15 +1030
> Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > While I'm on the subject, how on earth to pro-tools mix and hd systems
> > achieve zero latency on the hardware inserts?  I have used the system
> > before, and I can understand zero latency monitoring as the signal
> passes
> > through a patchbay to the hardware on the way to the speakers, but with
> > inserts it goes out and comes back...hmmm
>
> If the whole of the signal from a particular track goes through the
> insert, could you not fix the problem by nudging the track?
>
> As an example, say you have a track that is fed through an insert that has
> 100ms latency and the return from the insert goes into the final mix.  If
> you nudge the track left by 100ms so the signal gets sent to the insert
> 100ms early compared to everything else the return from the insert will now
> be at the correct time rather than 100ms late so it will all line up.
>
> If some of the track goes via the insert and some goes direct you could
> still nudge the track left by 100ms and then add 100ms delay to the direct
> path.  Again everything should line up.

This was indeed going to be my next post...asking if that is the  only way
around the latency problem.  I guess my issue is that I'm not sure exactly
how long the latency is, JACK is set to 64 frames or 2.3 milliseconds, but
ardour gives me a latency reading of half that...this is the same for all
settings on JACK, ardour gives half.  Maybe someone could explain the reason
for this...so then assuming I go with JACK and it is 2.3ms, is that a real
world figure, or do i just have to use my ears and trial and error to figure
that one out?....cause there are other external factors such as the time
taken to get to the mixer, be routed around the mixer and then back into the
card.  This can all be avoided by using plugins i know, however my mixer
seems to do some FX quite a lot better than the ladspa plugins....and at the
moment I haven't the time or enthusiasm to get vsti working, even though i
know i will find them very useful.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really enjoying being part of the ardour
community, keep up the good work everyone.
Andy J =)