[ardour-users] Exporting with Hardware Inserts/Sends

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 15:59:41 PST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:52:15 +1030
Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I'm on the subject, how on earth to pro-tools mix and hd systems
> achieve zero latency on the hardware inserts?  I have used the system
> before, and I can understand zero latency monitoring as the signal passes
> through a patchbay to the hardware on the way to the speakers, but with
> inserts it goes out and comes back...hmmm

If the whole of the signal from a particular track goes through the insert, could you not fix the problem by nudging the track?

As an example, say you have a track that is fed through an insert that has 100ms latency and the return from the insert goes into the final mix.  If you nudge the track left by 100ms so the signal gets sent to the insert 100ms early compared to everything else the return from the insert will now be at the correct time rather than 100ms late so it will all line up.

If some of the track goes via the insert and some goes direct you could still nudge the track left by 100ms and then add 100ms delay to the direct path.  Again everything should line up.

Steve.