[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:39:30 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Brett McCoy <idragosani at chapelperilous.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Over the years I've read all the amanda stuff 5-10 times. I've never
> > managed to get comfortable with it. I'ma guitar player not an IT guy.
> > (Really. I mean it!)
> >
> > That said, it still seems cool (to me) that if something like amanda
> > works so well, that some smart developer should figure out how to
> > integrate talking to it as a build time option in Ardour for those of
> > us that would need it. I fear that too many people do not do ANY
> > backups and will lose music should a drive go down.
>
> At the very least, having a mechanism in place to call Amanda externally
> (or even tar as a sane default, it works just fine for archival backups)
> from a menu, with preset options to backup the current session to
> wherever the user wants.

Yeah, that's all I'm thinking of. You'd need some options somewhere in
Ardour to configure the backup for the way your distro installs
amanda, etc., but amanda itself sould stay completely outside of
Ardour.

If my original meaning was not clear to others then I'm very glad you
stated the extra critical bits...

Cheers,
Mark