[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Ross Vandegrift ross at lug.udel.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:41:25 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:21:43AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Over the years I've read all the amanda stuff 5-10 times. I've never
> managed to get comfortable with it. I'ma guitar player not an IT guy.
> (Really. I mean it!)

Fair enough - Amanda is a pretty hefty solution for most people
backing up a workstation or two.  I can admit to not actually running
it myself at home.

But dump by itself is really easy.  Say that you want to backup
/dev/sda1.  First, mount it read-only or leave it unmounted.  This
will give you a full backup ("level 0") in the current dir:

# dump -0 -u -A MANIFEST -Q QFADATA /dev/sda1 -f sda1.level0

I use this variant to make files sized to burn onto DVD-R:
# dump -0 -u -A MANIFEST -Q QFADATA /dev/sda1 -B 4567040 -f 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,...
You'll get numbered files ready to be burned with growisofs.

Incrementals are any level greater than zero.  A level n backup backs
up everything that has changed since the last backup of any level less
than n:
# dump -1 -u -A MANIFEST -Q QFADATA /dev/sda1 -f sda1.level1
Same variation above gives you DVD sized incrementals.

To restore, you take the image you want to restore from, the MANIFEST
and QFADATA files, and run the program restore like this:
# restore -if sda1.level1 -A MANIFEST -Q QFADATA

It'll drop you into a shell that you can pick out files with and
extract.  It has interactive help by running the command "help".

Since dump can also dump a subdirectory, it would be pretty easy to
produce a shell script that made a level 0 dump of an ardour session.
Maybe I'll do just that one night this week...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."