[ardour-users] Recommended distros

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jan 11 13:04:19 PST 2006

Hallo,
Paul Davis hat gesagt: // Paul Davis wrote:

> if you plan to ever use an audio interface which requires "non-free"
> firmware to be downloaded into it, avoid ubuntu and all other debian-
> derived distributions. the distros do not include the firmware, and it
> is not trivial to find out where to get it.

This sounds a bit unfair to me.

In my view, it *is* rather trivial to go to the ALSA homepage
http://www.alsa-project.org/ and download e.g.:
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/firmware/alsa-firmware-1.0.10.tar.bz2
and run "./configure --prefix=/usr && make install" as described in
the README. For most cards this isn't even necessary, as their
firmware already is included in Debian. The loaders are already
available in Debian in package "alsa-firmware-loaders", it's just some
firmware that you need to download from third party suppliers.

I agree, that Fernando solves this in the most comfortable way in
PlanetCCRMA, but that's not, because he is using a Fedora-based system
instead of a Debian based one. Fernando would conquer Debian as well. ;)

Ciao