[ardour-users] Recommended distros

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Jan 11 14:17:31 PST 2006

On 11 January 2006 at 22:02, "GuitArt" <guitart at zizzetope.it> wrote:

> i'm sorry maybe i made some mistakes on replying... anyway...

No problem.

> the points are: RAM amount, processor mhz,disk speed.
> The gnome desktop, or the KDE (default on those distros) are heavy and
> dramatically slow your average performance, and you know what i'm saying
> when ardour, zynaddsubfx, a couple of rev/delay, are running and your
> favorite performance monitor says "100%" :) in general i prefer a minimal
> install, a light wm, and save the CPU, RAM, DISK activity for the audio
> apps. I've never tried CCRMA... maybe i'd have to :)

OK, I understand now.  It seems that your main problem is with the
default WM on those distros.  I too have a problem with the resources
used by Gnome & KDE.  They simply won't run on my 200MHz PI machine;
I use IceWM on that machine.  My music machine is a 2GHz Celeron with
1GB of RAM.  It seems to handle KDE and music at the same time
without the 100% problems you're seeing.  I've been up to 13%, but
not more than that for times when I'm doing only KDE and music.  I'm
using Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2 or 3.3 on that machine.

Cheers....

--
Kevin