[ardour-users] Recommended distros

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Wed Jan 11 10:59:08 PST 2006

> if you plan to ever use an audio interface which requires "non-free"
> firmware to be downloaded into it, avoid ubuntu and all other debian-
> derived distributions. the distros do not include the firmware, and it
> is not trivial to find out where to get it.

Actually, Ubuntu has a much more practical, less idealized approach to
these sorts of things.  Ubuntu's hardware detection is great, and it
does, in fact, include firmware for (what I think may be) the vast
majority of devices requiring it (including wireless LAN cards).  I
haven't set up any audio devices requiring firmware, though.

To illustrate the point, consider that a working java install can be
obtained using official Ubuntu repositories (multiverse), while Debian
still (as far as I am aware) does not permit this.  Certainly firmware
is no more restricted than Java?

-Forest