[ardour-users] scenes anyone?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Mon Jan 9 08:27:23 PST 2006

On 9 January 2006 at 10:17, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> just rename them at the filesystem level (keep the .ardour
> suffix). presumably you are aware that you are free to choose
> better names when creating them as well, the date is just a
> default guess at a name.

Is saving the snapshots with a different name in the first place
equivalent to renaming them at the filesystem level?

If I'm done with a snapshot, then do I just remove the .ardour
and .ardour.bak files for it?  I haven't found a way to do this
in ardour yet, but I haven't looked either.

I'd assume that ardour does all the right stuff with regards
to cleaning up unused sources and flushing the wastebasket (is
that what it's called? I don't have ardour where I'm writing
this).  By "right stuff" I mean that unused sources are those not
referenced by any of the .ardour files in the current project's
directory tree.

So many questions, but I'm just that ignorant of the facts.  I
suspect I'm trainable tho. ;-)

> just keep in mind that loading a snapshot is no different from
> closing and reopening the session. there is too much state in
> a session and it is too complex in its inter-relationships to
> treat a snapshot as a "diff" and just change the state of the
> currently loaded session.

That's fine.  I suppose the "diff" idea could be pretty darned
hard, and maybe need to be designed in from the start, if its
even desirable in the first place.  I haven't seen that feature
on any audio gear or software I've been exposed to.  I do see it
on high-end electronic test equipment, e.g. oscilloscopes costing
multiple thousands or 10s of thousands of US dollars -- I work in
that industry and save/recall setup is part of my vocabulary.

Thanks much....

--
Kevin