[ardour-users] scenes anyone?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jan 9 07:17:47 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 17:32 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> For a song I'm working on I'd like to keep some states for it:
> one where it's all set up and ready to record (e.g. some record
> enables active), one where it's set up to practice with reference
> tracks (e.g. reference tracks unmuted), one where it's set to mix
> down (e.g. plugins active).  I'd also like to make "scenes" for
> take 1, take 2, etc.  I had been doing this using snapshots, but
> the various dates for names aren't really that easy to decode.  I
> could rename the snapshots, maybe.  Is there a good way to go for
> this?

just rename them at the filesystem level (keep the .ardour suffix).
presumably you are aware that you are free to choose better names when
creating them as well, the date is just a default guess at a name.

just keep in mind that loading a snapshot is no different from closing
and reopening the session. there is too much state in a session and it
is too complex in its inter-relationships to treat a snapshot as a
"diff" and just change the state of the currently loaded session.

--p